- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup uncooked rice, white, brown, or wild
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 2 parsnips, peeled and diced into 1/4-inch thick rounds
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1 pound whole Bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
To the bowl of a 6-quart slow cooker, stir together the chicken stock, rice, garlic, onion, carrots, parsnips, celery, thyme, rosemary, and bay leaves.
Nestle in the chicken breasts. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
Remove chicken from the slow cooker and shred, using two forks. Remove 1/2 cup of the soup broth into a small bowl and whisk in the corn starch until smooth.
Stir the corn starch mixture back into the slow cooker, along with the shredded chicken and mushrooms. Cook on low for an additional 30 minutes.
Remove the bay leaves and serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.