- 1 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tbsp cajun seasoning, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 14 oz andouille sausage, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup celery, chopped
- ½ medium purple onion, diced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1 medium jalapeño, seeded and diced
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 cup white long-grain rice
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried Oregano
- 2 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- 14 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp Louisiana hot sauce
- 1 cup okra, chopped
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peel and tails removed
- 2 tbsp green onions, chopped
Season the chicken breast pieces with 1 tbsp of cajun seasoning, salt, and pepper to taste. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sear chicken and sausage until browned on all sides. Remove chicken and sausage from the pan and set aside.
To the same pan, add in the celery, onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, and garlic and cook until tender and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Stir in the rice, thyme, oregano, and remaining 1 tbsp Cajun seasoning and toast for an additional 1 to 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Pour in the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, and hot sauce, stir to combine. Add in the okra and bring the mixture to a simmer. Return the chicken and sausage to the skillet and stir to combine. Cover and cook for 18 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until the rice is cooked through and tender.
Finally, add in the shrimp, stir into the hot rice mixture. Cover and cook an additional 5 minutes, until the shrimp is no longer opaque and cooked through. Garnish with chopped green onions and enjoy!