Cook Time and Yield
- Prep time: 5 min
- Cook time: 25 min
- Ready in: 30 min
- Yields: 1 serving
- 8 to 10 medium to small new potatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 good quality vegan sausages
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- 2 tablespoons canned chickpeas, rinseds
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped coriander leaf (cilantro)
- Black pepper
- ½ small white turnip
- 4 medium purple basil leaves, plus small sprig to garnish
- Wash the potatoes but leave the skins on and cut them in half so that they form approximately one inch chunks. Add them to a large pot with the turmeric and some salt and pour in enough cold water to ensure they are all comfortably covered. Put the pot on to a high heat until the water starts to boil then adjust the heat to achieve a moderate simmer for 20 minutes.
- The vegan sausages should be cooked per the instructions on the pack. In this instance, they required to be gently fried (from frozen) for 20 minutes in a little vegetable oil so they were put on to start cooking when the potatoes were set simmering.
- When the potatoes are just cooked, drain through a sieve and return to the empty pot. Allow them to steam off for a couple of minutes and dry out, while you remove the sausages from the frying pan to a holding plate.
- Add the chickpeas, mayo and chopped coriander to the pot with the potatoes, season with a little black pepper and stir carefully but well with a wooden spoon.
- Peel the turnip and coarsely grate in to a large bowl. Roll and shred the purple basil leaves before adding to the turnip along with the roughly chopped sausages. Stir to combine.
- Spoon the turnip and sausage salad in to the middle of a deep serving plate and arrange the potato salad around the border. Garnish with the purple basil sprig in the centre.