- 6 medium Russet potatoes, cut into bite size pieces
- 1 onion diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 8 cups of vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp minced parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp flour (corn starch can be substituted)
- 1 cup finely grated cheese of your choice
Add the bacon to a soup pot and cook until the fat is crispy. Remove from the pan and set aside. Pour off most of the bacon fat, but do not clean the pan. Return the pan to medium heat and add in the onion, celery and carrot.
Stir and cook for two minutes, then add in the diced potatoes, salt and pepper and any other seasonings you like.
Pour in the broth and bring to a low boil Cook for 10 minutes or until the potatoes start to soften. Whisk the flour and the milk, add to the pot and stir continuously.
Cook for another 5 minutes. Carefully scoop out ¼ to ½ of the soup and process it in a blender or food processor until it is smooth.
Add this back into the pot slowly and carefully so it does not splash back on you and burn. Stir in the crumbled bacon, leaving some for a garnish. Serve in bowls with parsley, bacon and a little cheese for a garnish.