- 1/2 head romaine
- 1/2 head Boston lettuce
- 1 small bunch frisée (curly endive)
- 1/2 bunch watercress, coarse stems discarded
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 ripe avocados, seed removed, peeled, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 whole skinless boneless chicken breast (about 3/4 pound total), halved, cooked, and diced (see How to Poach Chicken)
- 1 tomato, seeded and chopped fine
- 2 hard-boiled large eggs, separated, the yolk finely chopped and the white finely chopped (see How to Make Hard Boiled Eggs)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 to 2 teaspoons sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely grated Roquefort
Cook the bacon:
in a skillet on medium heat until crisp on both sides. Remove from skillet and lay out on paper towels to absorb
the excess fat. Allow the bacon to cool. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
Toss the various lettuces:
In a large salad bowl, toss together well the various lettuces and watercress.
Compose the salad:
Arrange the chicken, the bacon, the tomato, and the avocado decoratively over the greens and garnish the salad
with the chopped egg and the chives.
Make the vinaigrette:
In a small bowl whisk together the vinegar, the mustard, and salt and pepper to taste, add the oil in a slow stream,
whisking, and whisk the dressing until it is emulsified.
Stir in the Roquefort. Add sugar to taste, 1/2 teaspoon at a time. Whisk the dressing. Serve separately or toss in
with the salad.