To prepare the dishes:
- 1 teaspoon butter & 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
- 115g dark chocolate
- 115g butter
- 55g caster sugar
- 2 whole medium eggs + 2 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee dissolved in 1 tablespoon of water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 80g plain flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Whipped cream & cocoa powder to serve
Oven: 200°C / 400°F/ Gas Mark 6, pre-heated
Fan oven: 180°C
Grease the dishes with butter and dust in cocoa powder.
Melt the chocolate with the butter in a bowl over a pan of hot water, taking care not to let the bowl touch the water.
Whisk the sugar and eggs together until light and fluffy. Stir in the liquid coffee and vanilla extract.
Whilst continuously whisking, slowly drizzle the melted chocolate and butter into the egg and sugar mixture.
Sift in the flour with the cocoa powder and combine.
Divide the mixture between the prepared petite casseroles. Bake for 12-14 minutes. The cakes are done when they just form a breaking crust, the mixture should be firm on top but still runny in the middle.
Once cooked allow the cakes to stand for a minute or two. Serve warm with a spoon of whipped cream and a dusting of cocoa.