- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 pounds beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 pound carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 white onion, cut into large chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle Irish stout beer (e.g. Guinness(r))
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Step1: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Toss beef cubes with flour to coat, then fry in the hot oil until browned.
Step3: Place the carrots, potatoes, onion and garlic in a large slow cooker.
Step3: Place the meat on top of the vegetables. Mix together the beef broth and tomato paste and pour into the slow cooker along with the beer.
Step4: Cover and cook on High for 6 hours or Low for 8 hours. During the last hour before serving, dissolve the cornstarch in cold water and then stir into the broth.
Step5: Simmer on the High setting for a few minutes to thicken.