- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 heaping tablespoons cornstarch
- ½ cup granulated sugar use ¾ cup for a sweeter pudding
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Beat egg yolks in a heat-proof bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together cornstarch and ½ cup milk in 3-4 quart saucepan. Add remaining milk, sugar and salt and whisk until fully combined.
- Place saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, whisking constantly.
- Once at a boil, immediately take saucepan off the heat and immediately pour steaming hot milk mixture in a slow stream into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Blend very well!
- Pour pudding back into saucepan and place over medium to medium-high heat. Heat gently, whisking constantly, until notably thickened (pudding mixture will not be thick like finished pudding yet!), about 2-3 minutes.
- Take pudding off the heat, then whisk in butter and vanilla. Allow pudding to cool for 5 minutes, then pour into individual serving dishes. Chill at least one hour, better several or overnight before serving.
- Store the pudding in the fridge at all times. If constantly refrigerated, it keeps for 5 days.