- 8 ounces (250 g) bacon, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 26 ounces (750 g) brown mushrooms, washed (pat dry with paper towel)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (or chicken broth/stock)
- 6 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (400 ml) heavy cream, (thickened cream or evaporated milk)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1/2 cup fresh shredded or grated mozzarella
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded or grated parmesan cheese
-Fry the bacon in a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat until crispy. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a paper towel lined plate to soak up some of the oil. Set aside.
-In the same pan, melt the butter. Add the mushrooms, drizzle with oil and mix through, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Fry for 2-3 minutes to lightly brown mushrooms and release their juices (if any).
-Pour in the wine (or broth) and let reduce for 2 minutes, while occasionally stirring.
(Preheat broiler or oven grill.)
-Add in the garlic and stir it through for a minute, until fragrant. Pour in the cream and herbs.
-Reduce heat down to low. Gently simmer until tender (about 4-5 minutes) and sauce is slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
-Add the bacon back in and give everything a good mix to combine all of the flavors together. Top the mushrooms with the mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
-Broil until cheese is melted and bubbly and mushrooms are done to your liking (about 3-5 minutes)