- 310 ml sugar
- 60 ml (1/4 c) Scotch (whiskey or bourbon)
- 60 ml (1/4 c) water
- 30 ml (2 tbsp.) light corn syrup, preferably
- 250 ml (1 c) cream, hot
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) salted butter
- 375 ml (1 1/2 c) pecan halves
For The Cake:
- 500 ml (2 c) all-purpose flour
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) pecans, finely chopped in a food processor
- 5 ml (1 tsp) baking soda
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) salt
- 125 ml (1/2 c) un-salted butter
- 60 ml (1/4 c) canola oil
- 375 ml (1 1/2 c) brown sugar
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 3 egg
- 250 ml (1 c) buttermilk
Putting grill at center of oven. Preheat oven 180°C (350°F). Butter and line the bottom of two 20-cm (8-inch) square baking dishes with parchment paper, letting it hang over two sides. Place on a cookie sheet.
In a saucepan, bring the sugar, Scotch, water and syrup to a boil. Cooking without stir to mixture takes on golden color. Off the heat, gradually add the cream and butter. Bring to boil again, stirring to mixture is smooth. Divide the caramel into the baking dishes. Sprinkle with half pecans.
For The Cake:
In a bowl, combine the flour, chopped pecans, baking soda and salt. To book.
In other bowl, cream butter with oil, brown sugar & vanilla with an electric blender. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until the mixture is smooth and homogeneous.
At low speed, add the dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk. Carefully divide the batter into the baking dishes over the caramel. Bake for about 50 minutes . Leave to cool about 30 min.
Invert a first cake onto a serve platter. Invert the second cake onto a baking sheet and slide it onto the first. Let cool completely. Serve warm or cold and top with whipped cream if desired.