OVEN ROASTED CHICKEN
- 1 chicken from 1.2 to 1.5 kg
- 1 large lemon
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper
- fine salt
- extra virgin olive oil
1. Take the chicken out of the fridge in advance. If you can, keep it out for 2-3 hours.
2. Clean it up. If you have bought it, remove the gummy that it will bring on the legs and save it for later. Remove feathers and other “gifts” that chickens usually bring. But beware, no water. “Dry cleaning”, with the little hand, with a pair of tweezers or with a kitchen torch.
3. Salt it generously on the outside and inside. The chicken should be well salted. Brush it with oil (inside and out). Also add the spices (inside and out). Massage the chicken so that everything integrates perfectly. Cut the lemon in half and insert one half inside.
4. Join the hind legs and tie them, also closing the bottom. You can do it with the same rope that chickens usually bring. The idea is that the chicken remains closed so that it does not dry out.
5. Preheat the oven to 180ºC with heat up and down (without fan) for 10 or 15 minutes.
6. Cut the tip of the other lemon half (see the image). The idea is that it is a stable support for the chicken during a good part of cooking and that it provides an extra to the sauce. Place it on the middle of an ovenproof tray with the widest side facing up.
7. Place the chicken on the lemon with the breasts facing down. Bake for 60 minutes.
8. Carefully flip the chicken. Place it back on top of the lemon. Water it with its juices. Bake 30 more minutes.
9. Put the grill mode. Grill the chicken for 5 minutes so that it is golden and crispy.